Wednesday, September 8, 2010

150-YEARS-AGO: Breckinridge getting more popular in Louisiana

Vice President John C. Breckinridge
[Ed. Note: excerpted by the UT Tyler digital archives]

DAILY ADVOCATE [BATON ROUGE, LA], September 28, 1860, p. 2, c. 4-5

Letter from the Plains.
Plains, La., Sept. 24, 1860.
My motto is not

Breckinridge, Douglas, or Bell,
But pick, trash and gin, press, ship, and sell.
     I am no politician, I am on neutral ground; am on the fence; have made no expression of my political views, consequently, I can, without committing myself, give you one or two political items picked up on the way.
    I remained in Jackson one night, and during my short sojourn I heard nothing but Breckinridge and Lane. Jackson is for this ticket, soul and body, head and ears. While returning home I noticed the Breckinridge flag floating in several places on the road. The inference is, East Feliciana is "O. K." This is a trying time. Every one ought to be a faithful sentinel—at his post. As for me, I intend to vote for the South. I occupy an observing position, and I intend to vote for the man whose prospects are most favorable. My political motto was the motto of one member of the great American Triumvirate, "Principle, not men." I am a Democrat, and desire to vote the Democratic ticket, but I have no hesitancy in saying that I will vote for Mr. Bell if his prospects next November are most favorable. If I should do otherwise I would consider it an indirect vote for Lincoln. I am candid in this expression.
     Messrs. Editors, this is at your disposal, publish if you like; if not, consign it to the same place that Jeroboham did the roll of Baruch.
Yours, etc.,
R. W. Y. N.

DAILY ADVOCATE [BATON ROUGE, LA], October 1, 1860, p. 2, c. 5
Campagin Medals,
Bell and Everett,
At J. McCormicks.
DAILY ADVOCATE [BATON ROUGE, LA], October 2, 1860, p. 2, c. 5
Campaign Medals,
Breckinridge and Lane,
At J. McCormicks.
Campaign Medals,
Douglas and Johnson.
Prince of Wales Medals,
At J. McCormick's.

No comments: