Friday, January 7, 2011


Richmond Daily Dispatch
January 7, 1861

The first flag of independence raised in the South, by the citizens of Savannah, Ga.
November 8th, 1860 / drawn by Henry Cleenewerck, Savannah, Ga.
; lithographed by R.H. Howell, Savannah, Ga. (Library of Congress)

   The Savannah News, of Friday morning gives the following particulars of the occupation of the Georgia forts by State troops. It gives Maj. Anderson's movement and the failure of the President to remand him, as the cause which induced the Governor to take the step:
   At eight o'clock yesterday morning, the ship steamer Sampson left with the detachments alluded to else where in this morning's paper, for Fort Pulaski. Col. Henry R. Jackson, aid to the Governor, accompanied by Maj. H M. Davenport, had preceded the companies, and had demanded of Mr. Thomas Hennessy keeper of the Fort, the keys, which he, having no power to resist, promptly delivered to the authorized agent of the Governor of Georgia. When the boat reached the landing on Cockspur Island the troops were debarked and marched to the Fort, which was taken possession of, in pursuance of orders of the Governor of the State, by Col. A. R. Lawton, commanding officer.
   On the passage down, the Sampson passed the ship revenue cutter J. C. Dobbin, with the United States colors Union down, and the Palmetto flag flying at her peak.
   Shortly after the arrival of the steamer at Cockspur, a party of gentlemen presented themselves at the Fort, and made a tender to Col. Lawton of the Cutter Dobbin, which they had captured, and which was then aground. Col. Lawton, not recognizing the unlawful capture of the Dobbin, authorized Capt. Scriven. of the Savannah Volunteer Guards, to take possession of her in the name of the State of Georgia, with instructions to turn her over to the Governor, which he did.
   The occupation of Fort Pulaski, by authority of the Governor of the State, was a prudential measure, designed to guard against the commission of any lawless act by an exasperated people, and at the same time to prevent its occupancy by forces hostile to us, and it will be sustained by our people to any amount of reinforcements necessary to hold it against attack from any quarter.
   The ship cutter Dobbin, it appears, had been taken possession of without any State authority whatever, and on application of Mr. Boston, Collector of the port, for her releases Gov. Brown promptly granted it, in the following letter:
   Sir: The ship Revenue Cutter J. C. Dobbin, which was seized by some unauthorized person or persons unknown to me has, under the order giver by me to Col. Lawton, now in command of Fort Pulaski, to protect Government property against injury, been recaptured, and is now aground near Fort Pulaski. You will please send a revenue boat and take her into your custody to night, and I will have her hauled off to-morrow morning and delivered to you at such place as you may designate. I much regret the lawless seizure of the vessel, and beg leave to assure you that I shall from time to time give such orders as will protect the Custom-House and other property belonging to the Federal Government till the action of this State is determined by the Convention of her people.

No comments: